Mrs. Jamie May
Mrs. Jamie May is the Administrative Assistant to the School Counselor. Some of her duties include:
- Grading – Report cards/progress reports, etc.
- Transcripts, etc.
- Applying to college/financial aid, etc.
- Registrar/Student file maintenance
Mrs. May can be contacted in the following ways: Phone = 570-673-5134 ext. 339 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
2.21.2024 The PA School for Excellence in the Agricultural Sciences (PSEAS)
2.5.2024 Job Fair for Seniors at Wysox Fire Hall
If you plan on attending, you must get a job shadowing form from Mrs. May to make it a legal day absent from school.
1.26.2024 Tri County Rural Electric Cooperative Inc. Youth Tour for current Junior High School Students
1.26.2024 ALFRED UNIVERSITY
As students are thinking more about financial aid and the cost of college, I wanted to make sure you were aware of the Closer to Home Award your students could qualify for at Alfred University! Another way to help with the cost of college and make it an affordable option.
The Closer to Home Award is available to students that live within one of the following NY and PA counties: Allegany, Cattaraugus, Chautauqua, Chemung, Schuyler, & Steuben and Bradford, McKean, Potter, Tioga, & Warren. They could qualify to receive a $2,000 a year scholarship. That is $8,000 in total over their four years at Alfred University. Plus, if they are accepted, they could qualify for an academic scholarship as well.
All the student needs to do to qualify for the Closer to Home Award is apply by March 1st. If you or your students have any questions about the free application or how to apply, reach out and I am happy to help!
1.24.2024 BCRA STEM SATURDAY, FEB 3, 2024
Although the 2024-25 FAFSA became available at the end of December 2023, postsecondary schools will not be receiving information from the applicant’s completed FAFSA until the end of January 2024. This means that schools will not be sending out their financial aid award offers until after this time. Students should begin to receive aid information from schools they have been accepted to several weeks after the school receives their FAFSA information.
College Finance Planning: No matter what school your students are planning to attend, there will be costs to consider and possible remaining tuition and fees not covered by their financial aid offer. PHEAA’s PA Forward Student Loan offers very low rates to PA residents attending a school in or out of PA to help with their choices. Refer families to pheaa.org/PAForward. It’s worth a look!
- The 2024-25 FAFSA is scheduled to be released by December 31. Students and families can access the form on studentaid.gov. Families should create their Federal Student Aid Account (FSA ID) at least 4 days prior to completing the FAFSA. As part of the step authentication, families can also download an authenticator app which can be used to assist families with logging in even when cell and internet service isn’t available.
- The Pennsylvania Legislature established the Active Volunteer Tuition and Loan Assistance Program in 2022 to help emergency services recruit, retain, and provide educational assistance to those individuals willing to put their lives on the line for their fellow Pennsylvanians. This program provides tuition or loan assistance to active volunteers who qualify based on their service and other criteria.
- You can suggest the Federal Student Aid Estimatorto students and families; it provides an estimate of how much federal student aid they may be eligible to receive. These estimates are based on the Student Aid Index (SAI), used to determine federal student aid eligibility.
- As announced last month by Federal Student Aid (FSA), the 2024-25 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA®) will be available by December 31, 2023. With PHEAA’s new platform, GrantUs, not launching until early 2024, this means there will be a gap between when students can begin completing the FAFSA and when they are able to complete the PA State Grant Form (SGF) or Status Notice, if necessary. When GrantUs is available for students, PHEAA will send an email from email@example.com with an invitation to create an account and complete the SGF or Status Notice, if required. To keep up to date with the project, visit pheaa.org/GrantUs.
- After January 16, 2024, PHEAA will require all external users to use multi-factor authentication (MFA) to access our system applications including high schools who use our system to access student FASFA completion reports our PageCenterX system.
“If We are requiring Cisco Duo for the MFA requirement. Cisco Duo provides a choice of two enablement methods. PHEAA recommends that all users consult with your Information Technology staff to decide which of the two enablement methods will work best for your organization.
- Our Option 1 - Cisco Duo Mobile Application: User downloads the free application to a smartphone for convenient access.
- We Option 2 – Short Message Service (SMS) Passcode: User receives a one-time passcode via SMS/text message.
GrantUs, PHEAA’s new portal, will also require multi-factor authentication for all users. The MFA options available for GrantUs will be restricted to Microsoft Authenticator or Google Authenticator. Additional information about the GrantUs MFA requirements will be shared ahead of the platform launching.
Questions about Cisco Duo MFA should be directed to the PHEAA Help Desk at 1-877-398-4237 or 717-720-3000.
PA Forward Student Loans
Once the holidays are over, your seniors will be working through their last term of high school! If they’re wondering how they’re going to pay for higher education next fall, they may find the solution with PA Forward. PHEAA’s PA Forward Student Loans offer affordable options with several benefits and a variety of repayment options for PA residents planning to attend school in and out of state. Reference pheaa.org/PAForward to help them with the planning process.
U.S. Department of Education Releases New Data Highlighting How the Simplified, Streamlined, and Redesigned Better FAFSA® Form Will Help Deliver Maximum Pell Grants to 1.5 Million More Students
The Department of Education released data showing that the 2024-25 FAFSA will expand Pell Grant eligibility, helping 610,000 new students gain eligibility. Additionally, 1.5 million more students will receive the maximum Pell Grant, bringing the total number of students eligible for the maximum Pell Grant amount to more than 5.2 million.
FSA Partner Emails
With so many changes happening, it’s important to stay current! Sign up for Federal Student Aid partner emails to keep up to date on their announcements.
FAFSA Line by Line Webinar
PHEAA Access Partners will present an overview of the 2024-25 FAFSA process to guide students and families through a step-by-step process of filing the FAFSA and PA State Grant applications. This webinar is scheduled for February 21, 2024 from 6:00 - 7:00 PM (ET). Register at pheaa.org/virtual.
11.15.2023 The Elmer Hafer American Legion State Police National Guard Youth Camp
AMERIAN LEGION DEPARTMENT OF PENNSYLVANIA 1-717-730-9100
10.30.2023 Keystone Boys State (American Legion)
Ages 15-17 males
June 16-22, 2024
10.19.2023 Pre-apprentice Program at PCT
Please see two pre-apprenticeship opportunities for high school students at Pennsylvania College of Technology:
EMT Pre-Apprenticeship Program & Advanced Manufacturing Pre-Apprenticeship Program
Workforce Program Administrator
Northern Tier Regional Planning and Development Commission (NTRPDC)
312 Main Street
Towanda, PA 18848
check out our website at: www.northerntier.org
MENTAL HEALTH SERVICES AND NUMBERS
Main Link Warm Line 6-10 pm daily
Toll Free: 1-866-825-0277
Concern Inc. Crisis Line 24/7
National Suicide Prevention Hotline 24/7
Toll Free: 1-800-273-8255
NORTHERN TIER CAREER CENTER
Students are earning tuition-free Pennsylvania College of Technology credits through Penn College Dual Enrollment while enrolled in their career and technology center!
FORMS / REQUESTS
Letter of Recommendation
If you need a person to write a letter of recommendation, please fill out this form and give it to them so they have something to write about you that is based on your education, activities, awards, volunteer work, etc.
Request for College / Military Visit
If you are a senior student in good standing academically you may use this permission slip to take 3 school days to visit colleges, universities and/or military and all other post secondary education facilities. Please let the office know that you will be out on (date) so that a phone call home is not sent for your absenteeism.
Request for Job Shadowing
If you are a senior student in good standing academically you may use this permission slip to take 3 school days to Job Shadow someone in the field of study you are interested in. Please let the office know that you will be out on (date) so that a phone call home is not sent for your absenteeism.
NEED SOME EXTRA GUIDANCE
- Common App Step-by-Step Guide that walks students step-by-step through each question of the Common Application, including why it’s asked and how to best answer. Here is the link https://www.standoutcollegeprep.com/common-app-guide/
- FAFSA Step-by-Step Guide that walks students and families through each question of the FAFSA, including screenshots and explanations and a FAQ page for students with special circumstances. Here is the link https://www.standoutcollegeprep.com/fafsa-questions/
- Pennsylvania Scholarship Directory, a list of 100+ vetted scholarships for students across the state, broken down by month. Here is the link https://www.standoutcollegeprep.com/pennsylvania-scholarships
College and Military Visits to CHS
School Year 2023-2024
Please stop in the Guidance Office for a pass
September 8, 2023 Commonwealth Universities (Mansfield, Bloomsburg, Lock Haven) 2pm with Trey Gibson Auditorium September 12, 2023 Lunch Table for Big Brother, Big Sister with Emilia Dinan September 14, 2023 Messiah College, 10am with Lavonn, Cafe September 15, 2023 Mansfield University Field Trip for interested Seniors 9:30am-2:30pm(sign up and permission slips available in the guidance office) September 18, 2023 Misericordia University, 9am with Nick Mack, Cafe September 21, 2023 Penn College of Technology, 9am with Joey Worth, Cafe September 26, 2023 University of Pitt @ Bradford, 2pm with Collin Maines October 10, 2023 Lycoming College, 10am Zac Cronk, Cafe October 17, 2023 Penn State (Wilkes), 10am Alex Ellsworth, Cafe October 19, 2023 Susquehanna Unversity, 2pm Cafe October 19, 2023 Corning Community College, 11am Auditorium/Rm 123 TBD October 23, 2023 Navy recruiter lunch table 11-1pm October 24, 2023 Keystone College, 9am Sabrina Grey, Cafe November 7, 2023 Keuka College, 10:15am Morgan Schultz Cafe November 8, 2023 Army Lunch Table, Staff Sgt Chew November 13, 2023 Alfred University, 10am Cafe November 14, 2023 Elmira College, TBA Taylor Szymanski Cafe
National Guard Lunch Table Visits TBA: Sgt. Jon Kleiner 570-706-5325
Coast Guard and Coast Guard Reserve Contact
GMC Jonathan Gracia
USCG Recruiting Office
183 Franklin Mills Blvd
Philadephia PA 19154
Community Service for Graduation
This can be started in 9th grade and you will need 60 hours.
HIGH SCHOOL STUDENT ASSISTANCE PROGRAM
The Student Assistance Program (SAP) at Canton Junior-Senior High School aids students who are experiencing difficulty in their academic pursuits. These difficulties may arise from social (peers), emotional (stress), and/or physical (drugs and alcohol) problems. This team is comprised of school personnel who respond to referrals about students who are referred by faculty, administration, parents, other students, or themselves. All information about the referral is confidential. Students are typically referred because they have exhibited noticeable changes in their academics, attendance, and/or behaviors.
Parents and community members are able to refer a student to SAP. Click here to refer a student.
After the SAP team gets a referral, they investigate the issue further by gathering information from other faculty members. These faculty members complete a checklist for that student's observable behaviors, which consist of the following: sleepiness, drop in grades, change in appearance, change in social group, lack of interest, etc. After this information is compiled, the team must get parental and student permission so that the student can get the best possible help for his/her problem. The parent also has input by filling out a survey about his/her child, and this helps the team with issues related to the home environment. The SAP program is used as an intervention, not as a treatment or a cure. A referral to the team does not mean that a student is in trouble, but it does mean that he/she is going to get the best assistance possible so that he/she can be successful in his/her academic life. SAPs goal is to see that each student achieves his/her best success in his/her school endeavors.
This year the professionals who have been specially trained to be members of the SAP Team are:
(STUDENTS NO LONGER NEED SAT/ACT SCORES TO PLAY AT THE COLLIEGATE LEVEL)
Did you know Penn State Wilkes-Barre offers academic and non-academic services to students who qualify as first generation college students, meet financial guidelines, and/or are students with disabilities?
Penn State Wilkes-Barre is one of two PSU campuses which offers Student Success Services (SSS), a federally funded TRIO program, sponsored by the U.S. Department of Education. Program services include but are not limited to academic advising, math and writing tutoring, a textbook resource program, financial aid assistance, career counseling, academic, cultural and social activities, and campus transitioning.
If you have high school seniors who may benefit from applying to Penn State Wilkes-Barre, a small campus dedicated to student success, please contact the admissions office at 570-675-9238 and speak with an admissions counselor. For more information on the program, visit the Wilkes-Barre Student Support Services Page.
Employment Opportunity for Students not interested in College
Here are some of our entry level positions that might be of interest to your students:
- Aide Trainee (CNA program)
- Clerical Assistant 1 & 2
- Clerk 1 & 2
- Custodial Worker 1
- Food Service Worker 1
- Intermittent Liquor Store Clerk
- Liquor Store Clerk 1
- Security Officer 1
- Stock Clerk 1
- Tradesman Helper
- Transportation Equipment Operator Trainee (CDL program)
- HR Assistant 1
- Corrections Community Center Monitor
These opportunities can be found on our website at www.employment.pa.gov.
If you or any of your students have any questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out to me @ Kelgruber@pa.gov.
Kelly Gruber | Enterprise Recruiter
PA Office of Administration | Bureau of Enterprise Recruitment
Harrisburg, PA 17120
This is a union position. May be the perfect match for you or someone you know.
Financial Aid Information
10.2.2023 Financial Aid Information
Greetings from PHEAA’s Pennsylvania School Services!
HAPPY FALL!!! Lots of good information included here for your reading pleasure. PHEAA News:
- Please share our resources page to educate parents and students about financial aid opportunities. They can watch PHEAA’s “how to” videos, access publications, and find other financial aid information. These resources are designed to provide information on the entire financial aid process, including FAFSA® completion.
- Federal Student Aid (FSA) has announced the 2024-25 FAFSA will not be released until December 2023. Please discuss with your Access Partner how that might impact your FAFSA Completion Sessions this fall.
- Please remind students and contributors (biological or adopted parent, student’s spouse, spouse of a parent) who are required to provide information on the FAFSA form to do so prior to attending a FAFSA Completion Event. Because an identity match is required, we recommend that students and families create their IDs at least 2-4 days prior to completing the FAFSA. A verified email address will be required to establish an account. Contributors without an SSN or ITIN will be able to create an FSA ID using a knowledge-based identify verification process. Here is a video about how to create an FSA ID and some additional resources on how to create an FSA ID.
- The 2024-25 FAFSA will use income tax information from 2022.
- Students will be able to list up to 20 colleges on their online FAFSA form and 10 colleges on the FAFSA PDF.
PA Forward Student Loans
The new senior class is beginning to make their postsecondary plans, including how to pay for it. Please remember our PA state residents have a great opportunity with the PHEAA PA Forward Student Loan Program, which has competitive interest rates, as well as benefits to help families afford their education. Visit pheaa.org/PAForward for more information.
Big Changes to the FAFSA are Coming: How It Can Affect Your College Aid
The FAFSA is being revamped for the first time in 40 years. The changes are a result of the FAFA Simplification Act. Some of the most noteworthy changes include:
- replacing the Expected Family Contribution (EFC) with the Student Aid Index (SAI)
- expanding federal Pell Grant eligibility
- automatically importing federal income tax data from the IRS
Financial Aid Night At CHS
Financial Aid Night will be held Tuesday, December 5, 2023 at 5pm in the high school auditorium. This is an important presentation in the process of applying for financial aid for college. At least one guardian/parent and student should attend. THIS IS AN IMPORTANT INFORMATION SESSION.
Do not wait until the last minute to figure this out.
FAFSA Delayed: Federal Student Aid (FSA) has announced the 2024-25 FAFSA will not be released until December 2023.
SAT AND ACT TESTING DATES AND REGISTRATION DEADLINES
DATE TEST GRADE
AUGUST 26, 2023 SAT 11TH AND 12TH
OCTOBER PSAT/NMSQT 10TH AND 11TH
OCTOBER 28, 2023 ACT 10th 11TH, 12th
NOVEMBER 4, 2023 SAT 11TH AND 12TH
DECEMBER 4-15, 2023 KEYSTONE WINTER WAVE 1 10TH AND 11TH
JANUARY 3-17, 2024 KEYSTONE WINTER WAVE 2 10TH AND 11TH
JANUARY 18, 2024 ASVAB 10TH, 11TH, 12TH
MARCH ?????? SAT ONLINE 11TH AND 12TH
APRIL 13, 2024 ACT 11TH AND 12TH
APRIL 22-26, 2024 PSSA ENGLISH LANGUAGE ARTS 7th AND 8th
APRIL 29-MAY 3, 2024 PSSA MATH 7thAND 8TH
APRIL 29-MAY 3, 2024 PSSA SCIENCE 8TH
MAY 6-10, 2024 PSSA MAKE-UPS 7TH AND 8TH
MAY 6-17, 2024 AP (ADVANCED PLACEMENT) 11TH AND 12TH
May 13-24, 2024 KEYSTONE SPRING 10TH AND 11TH
JUNE ???? SAT ONLINE 11TH AND 12TH
JUNE 8, 2024 ACT 11TH AND 12TH